Wednesday 27 July 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!

Hi Everyone! Happy Birthday to me! Peadar and I celebrated with some dinner and champagne last night. Roll on Moet & Chandon.  


It was Malahide Summer Days in our little village over the weekend. We had amazing weather and loads of people came out. There was everything from jazzercise in the park, to bands playing on the street, and the restaurants each had little booths with great bbqs! 




I went for a walk, a long ass walk down the beach on Saturday because Peadar was working (joys of being a farmer, can't imagine what the impending harvest is going to be like) and I took some great pics along the beach. People were actually swimming in the water even though it was only like 65 degrees out, but hey, that's a scorcher to the Irish.




I think the entire population of the Malahide Yacht Club was out on the water, see the sails dotting the horizon? Maybe one day I'll be cool enough to be a member ;)




So anyway I was walking down the beach, and I just kept walking and walking down through Portmarnock, a town that is famous for its golf club, which doesn't let women in. Well let me tell you that sure didn't keep me out. I was walking down the beach and there was fewer and fewer people. I kept looking in the distance thinking I could see a road, and Peadar could pick me up there, not realizing there was water in between me and that road. I knew I was in trouble when the beach started curving, and I found myself on a sandbar peninsula. I heard voices and ran ahead to find a couple, and I was planning on asking them how to get out of there when they said..."do you know which way the road is?" We were all stranded.  Well turning around meant at least a 2 or 3 mile walk back and my new found friends and I were not prepared to go back. We were on an adventure damn it, and we were going to Bear Grylls our way through this thing.
Bear Grylls With No Shirt

You are welcome for the picture of him (in Ireland, actually) in no shirt!!! My new friends and I literally hopped a stream and waded our way through marsh quality grass, when we spotted...that's it... the Portmarock Golf Club! We dodged some flying golf balls and flaunted our feminism (well except for the guy that was there) as we ran through hole after hole of staring, unapproving men in old school golf sweaters. In end we doged security and Peadar was waiting for me at the entrance (I had called him earlier for a ride home). My hero.


Later on we went back into town in Malahide for an evening concert, but I was so tired from my big adventure that I went home early. It turned out okay though, because then on Sunday I had plenty of energy to go to the beach with these 3 gems pictured below. I then became one of the Irish swimming in the water I was laughing at on Saturday. Funny how that happens...



How's that heat wave in Chicago?

XOXO
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment